With James home for the summer holidays and his excitement building for starting school in September I've been trying to find things to keep him occupied so today we made cakes!
James loves baking well more the decorating the cakes afterwards lol!
Here is the simple recipe we used for our cakes -
110g softened butter (room temperature)
110g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
110g self raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12 hole cake tin with paper cake cases,
- Cream together the butter and sugar until well combined and the mixture is pale in colour.
- In a seperate container beat together the eggs and slowly add these to your butter and sugar mixture a little at a time. Then add in your vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour and fold this gradually into your mixture. Adding a little milk at a time until the mixture is smooth and of a dropping consistency.
(If you wanted to make your cakes a funky colour you could add a few drops of food colouring to your cake mix at this point!)
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full and then place into the oven. We added a few pink and white mini marshmallows into the centre of ours at this point.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. A tip to check if they are cooked or not is to insert a skewer or cocktail stick into the centre of the cake, If it comes out clean (no cake batter residue left on the skewer or cocktail stick) then your cake it cooked.
Leave to cool and then decorate as you please!
James cakes (decorated all by himself!) -